The First Few Days…

I just wrote my first journal entry for the trip…enjoy!!!!

It is here that I will tell my story.  I’m a girl who had really no clue what I was getting myself into when joining YWAM.  Lecture phase, better than I could have ever dreamed.   A heart unveiled, a woman revealed.  Every day I feel like I am finding out more and more about who I was originally designed to be.  It’s as if finally that woman that God breathed life into has come alive.  The next part of this journey has begun…we are only two days in, but there’s plenty to share.

The second half of this journey begins on April 1st 2011.  It would have been a great joke but it really wasn’t a joke it was for real.  24 hours straight traveling.  We left Kona at 4:15am and headed for the airport where we boarded the first of three flights.  The first flight was 20 minutes over to Honolulu, where we had a 4.5 hour layover.  It was a great layover as I got to talk to my family and friends before my phone was shut off….yep, phone shut off.  No phone for the next 2.5 months.  No texting, no phone calls.  FREEDOM!!!!

The second leg starts, I’m anxious, I’m excited I have been psyching myself up for the next flight.  It’s 10 hours and 20 minutes.  WHAT!!!!!  Inside the plane?  No stopping and getting out.  Oh boy!!!!  I am staring at my seat assignment as I get onto the plane,  I see that I’m in row 28G…it’s says it’s an aisle…PHEWIE!!!!  28G, I see my seat and I almost begin to weep.  I’m so excited I can hardly stand it.  I actually have a slight rush of guilt that washes over me.  My seat is not an exit row but it’s the row that divides first class from the rest of us.  Which means the wall in front of me is the wall of the bathroom….NASTY you might say….NOPE.  It’s Korean Air and it couldn’t be cleaner or better maintained.

I can stretch out my legs out in front and not even touch the wall.  I then see this little release lever…yep it releases and pulls up my own personal TV.  Oh and the seat…the back doesn’t just recline the seat cushion slides forward as well like a true recliner.  I still can’t get over it.  Ask my teammate that was sitting next to me.  I was so taken back and so grateful I almost didn’t know what to do with myself.  I almost cried.  So for the next 10 hours we watched movies, played tetris and ate.  Oh and the food….AMAZING!!!!  We had real bowls and metal silverware.  So we made it to Seoul.  It’s about 11pm our time I think and the middle of the afternoon there.  We have a very short layover…we have enough time to walk VERY fast to our next gate and board immediately.

Our last leg and final destination Phnom Penh, Cambodia, this leg would be about 5.5 hours.  This plane was not as big and I was in the middle seat.  We were all soooooo tired.  I popped a half of a blue pill and proceeded to bob and weave for the next hour or so trying to get comfortable.  You know that place where you are so overly tired you aren’t even sure what to do with yourself?  Yeah that was me.  I was getting so anxious and even a little frustrated….but after many attempts…finally, ASLEEP!!!!

I’m not actually sure how I woke up, if someone woke me up or even it just being the grace of God, I just know I woke up.  I couldn’t function, I couldn’t speak, think, I was a zombie….blue pill….still in full effect.  Now it was time to fill out my visa papers…it was seriously so hilarious and if I wasn’t so tired I probably would have laughed.  Some around me were laughing at me because I found it hard to even see what I was supposed to do.  Yeah, and then they wanted me to write.  Tom ended up just giving me his papers and copied my information.  Yep like the simple questions, name, date, birthday, home country, etc.  I had to look at his papers and remember my information.  Thinking about it now makes me laugh because it was the simplest info and I had to look at someone elses paper.  Oh Unisom!!!!

We step off the plane and snag all our luggage…PTL (praise the Lord) all of our bags made it.  We are staying the YWAM base in Phnom Pehn for the next few days so our van comes to get us.  We arrive and go straight to bed.  Oh yeah did I mention it’s hot.  Like really hot, no sheets, no blanket, as little clothes as possible, and plenty of fans.  When you wake up in the morning, you can see the outline of your sweaty body on your sheets.  Detoxification as we sleep.  Good stuff.  It was hot but I was so blessed it didn’t keep me awake.  I slept amazing.

Day 1 in Cambodia was pretty chill and not a lot going on.  Mostly just trying to get food. 13 foreigners walking down the street causes quite the fuss.  You are just slightly on display.  Everyone said that we would love the people here.  TRUE, TRUE, TRUE.  They are so kind, and when they smile I actually think angels might be rejoicing in heaven.  Because of the massacre several decades ago there aren’t many older people.  Most of the country is under 30.

The children are sweet and the old ladies sweeter.  As they place their hands together hinge at the hip, bow and smile with their smile that would light up a room.  They are missing most of their teeth but the joy that overwhelms is beauty hard to explain.  The children are so adorable.  They just walk up and give you a high five, or say hello.

Here now comes the fun stuff.  I will admit when I woke up the first morning I wasn’t sure I was cut out for this.  I’m rooming with 9 girls all under the age of 24.  No offense girls I love you, I’m just not accustom.  Our toilet is in the same room as the shower.  They are one in the same.  There is no toilet paper…yep you heard me correctly.  There’s only a sprayer, which looks a lot like our kitchen sink sprayers, with slightly more power….pressure washer power!!!!  So are we village roughing it yet?  Nope, but I will say that it’s a lot different than home.  When the thoughts that I am not meant for this come into my head, I know that it’s the enemy.  I’m exactly where I need to be.  I will say one thing….It’s HOT, a kind of hot I have not been exposed to before…it’s just sticky hot….entitlement killer!!!!!

I’m so proud of some of the girls on my team.  We did a workout together yesterday on the rooftop overlooking Phnom Penh.  Woohoo!!!!

I can’t wait to see the places that the Lord moves in my heart in this place.  The people in this country have been oppressed for so long and their joy is astounding!!!



2 thoughts on “The First Few Days…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s